Sunday, December 6, 2015

How Barbara Walters Launched My Writing Career


I started reading before I entered kindergarten, thanks to having a mother who shared her love of reading with me by buying books for me, nestling me on her lap, and reading to me. I have deep, warm memories of spending time with her this way, often.

The first time I spun a story of my own was in the first grade. For whatever reason, I was a big Barbara Walters fan, and I loved watching her anchor the evening news with Harry Reasoner (whom I have always confused with Walter Cronkite). So, I wrote a newscast script, assigned my guy friend the Reasoner part, and we delivered it to our entire first grade class.

From there, I went on to write a few more plays in elementary school, a really back knock-off of Superfudge, and a short story about a duck whose feet were too big.

In middle school, there were the tortured, lonely, sappy, sickly romances. In high school, a little more spicy romance and a WHOLE lot of self-indulgent, whiny journaling.

Fast forward to today, many decades later - I'm venturing into the world of for real, sho 'nuff fiction writing. I'm only beginning to dip my toe into these waters, but I have to say, I feel like I've been writing all my life. I can't wait to see where this new path leads, and I'd be happy to have you along for the journey.

.Subscribe to my email list and be among the first to learn about new projects and inside tidbits

No comments:

Post a Comment